Sunday, April 4, 2021

The Great Unknown


I’ve got some decisions to make this year, and right now the linchpin is whether or not Burning Man happens.


If ever there was a more appropriate theme for the year.  People are just starting to emerge from their quarantine caves to get vaccinated, and slowly begin the process of returning to what we previously thought of as normal.  We’re all a little worse for wear physically (give or take 15 pounds), and mentally (give or take 15 tons).  So it’s no surprise that many like myself would be planning the year around a much needed vacation.


Questions abound include:

  • Should I move to a more affordable city this year?  Living this close to a major metropolitan area has lost its luster.  I absolutely hate moving though.

  • I’m no spring chicken physically/metnally.  What can I do to take better care of myself?

  • I spent half of 2020 taking care of a terminally ill cat.  His surviving brother now has health complications of his own. Should I be doing anything big in 2021 that could stress him out?

  • Money wise I’m trying to balance: rebuilding my wealth after being a year out of work, investing for the future (crypto, stocks, 401K), and paying down expensive veterinary bills.  Where should I be putting my hard earned funds?

  • Should I double down on my camping equipment?  Build that glorious camp kitchen with pizza making tools that I designed in my head.

  • When we all shuffle back into some sort of office arrangement do I look at other forms of transportation to get there other than my car like an ebike/electric scooter?

  • What can I do to get my ass back into running so I can be reasonably fit again?


The end of the Summer feels like a mirage off in the distance.  I don’t know what to expect.  So much needs to happen between then and now.


And if it all falls through I want to figure out a new adventure for myself that helps me heal from the year before.  We’ll see what occurs within the next month or so.


Everything is still scary and uncertain. But Welcome Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment